The format for reviewing ASOT from now on will be more specific. I’ve broken things down into 5 categories, including ‘Tune of the week’ and ‘Future Favourite’ to give my views on each track instead of generalising things. But first, the track listings.
Hour 1: The newest Tunes Selected
1. Passenger 10 – Mirage (EDX’s 5un5hine remix) (unreleased digital records)
2. Andy Moor feat. Carrie Skipper – So Much More (Shawn Mitiska remix)(Ava Recordings)
3. San Antonio Harbour – Romantic Avenue ( Magic Island )
4. Myon & Shane 54 – Not A lot Left (Anjunabeats)
5. FUTURE FAVORITE: Kerli – Walking On Air (Armin van Buuren Dub) (Def Jam Recordings)
6. TUNE OF THE WEEK: Leon Bolier – YE (From his forthcoming double album ‘pictures’) (Spinnin)
7. C-Systems – Close Your Eyes (Lemon & Ainar K remix) (Apocalypse Recordings)
8. The Riverside – Your Heart (Paul Miller presents Motion Blur remix) (Addictive Global)
9. Talla2XCL vs. Carl B feat. Katie Marne – Giving Up, Giving In (Sean Tyas dub) (Tetsuo)
10. Orjan – Soulflayer (Intuition Recordings)
11. ASOT Radio Classic: Solar Factor – Urban Shakedown (Banshee Recordings)
Hour 2: Recorded live from the closing party of Armada at Amnesia
1. Sander van Doorn vs. Robbie Williams – Close your Eyes (Spinnin)
2. Armin van Buuren feat. Jaren – Unforgivable (First State’s Rough cut) (Armind)
3. Signalrunners feat. Julie Thompson – These Shoulders (Club mix) (Anjunabeats)
4. Mr. Sam feat. Claud9 – Cygnes (Black Hole)
5. Aalto – 5 (Anjunabeats)
6. Sunlounger feat. Zara – Lost ( Magic Island )
7. Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel – in and out of love vs. Jochen Miller – Lost connection (AvB mash up)
8. Stoneface & Terminal – Blueprint (Club mix) (Euphonic)
9. Rapha – Pandora (Daniel Kandi’s Emotional mix) (Sensate Europe)
10. 4 Strings vs DJ Shaine – The Way It Should Be (dub) (spinnin)
11. Mark Norman – Restart
Good tracks: ‘So Much More’ was a nice vibrant track and ‘Romantic Avenue’ was very pleasant on the senses. ‘Close My Eyes’ was almost the Kickass song of this week, had it not been for the main tune wierding out in the middle. ‘Giving Up Giving In’ has a slight chance to be next week’s FF, but overall the track wasn’t that great.
Forgettable tracks: ‘Mirage’; ‘Not A Lot Left’ would’ve been a great track if the extremely irritating vocals didn’t exist. And as good as the track was, ‘Your Heart’ also lands in this category as well.
Tune of the Week: ‘YE’ was an interesting track, with different beats and a rather non-complimentary main tune; although, it wasn’t really my type. Wonder how the rest of that album ‘Pictures’ is…
Future Favourite: I understand why ‘Walking On Air’ was FF, what with it’s unique melody and all. However, I am surprised that ‘Cicada’ or ‘Synthetic Symphony’ weren’t FF from last week’s show. I was nearing the end of the ‘normal’ episode and was thinking that I still hadn’t heard a song worth FF yet, thankfully Orjan Nilsen came to the rescue with ‘Soulflyer’.
Kickass track: The entire live session!
Live session from Armada @ Amnesia in Ibiza: One undeniable fact about live sessions is that no matter what track is played, so much effort is put into it that everything sounds much better than any original mix. This is why I eagerly anticipate any live session of Armin’s, because I know it’s going be brilliant! Although all the tracks on the live session were pure awesomeness, bearing special mention is ‘Cygnes’ which was both beautiful and pumping to listen to.