Best trance compilation so far? Why yes, deculture agrees whole heartedly!
Every year Armin Van Buuren releases a compilation set where he mixes some of the best trance tracks of the year so far. 2008 was no exception, and I was eagerly anticipating the release of this year’s mix.
First off, the tracklist:
1. Armin van Buuren feat. Jaren – Unforgivable (First State Remix)
2. DJ Tatana – Spring Breeze (Martin Roth SummerStyle Remix)
3. Mike Foyle – Bittersweet Nightshade
4. M6 – Amazon Dawn
5. Andy Moor – Fake Awake (The Blizzard Remix)
6. Blake Jarrell – Punta Del Este (Beach Mix)
7. Benya feat. Penny Nixon – Serendipity
8. Ohmna – Satori Waterfalls
9. Signalrunners & Julie Thompson – These Shoulders
10. Myon & Shane 54 feat. Carrie Skipper – Vampire
11. Julian Vincent feat. Cathy Burton – Certainty (Mark Otten Dub)
12. Tenishia feat. Tiff Lacey – Burning From The Inside (Tenishia’s Burning Dub)
13. Mr Sam feat. Claud9 – Cygnes
14. Lange feat. Sarah Howells – Out Of The Sky (Kyau & Albert Remix)
1. Arnej feat. Josie – Strangers We’ve Become (Intro Tech Dub)
2. Sunlounger feat. Zara – Lost (Club Mix)
3. Offer Nissim – For Your Love (Sied van Riel Remix)
4. Ilya Soloviev & Paul Miller – Lover Summer (Orjan Nilsen Remix)
5. Markus Schulz – The New World
6. Robert Nickson & Daniel Kandi – Rewire
7. Giuseppe Ottaviani feat. Stephen Pickup – No More Alone
8. The Thrillseekers feat. Fisher – The Last Time (Simon Bostock Remix)
9. Stoneface & Terminal – Blueprint (Club Mix)
10. DJ Shah feat. Adrina Thorpe – Back To You (Aly & Fila Remix)
11. Andy Blueman – Time To Rest (Live guitar by Eller van Buuren)
12. Thomas Bronzwaer – Certitude
13. 8 Wonders – The Return
14. Jochen Miller – Lost Connection
15. Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel – In and Out of Love (Richard Durand Remix)
As you can see from the above list, Armin has quite literally taken the cream of the vocal trance crop here. Whilst most of these tracks remain quite faithful to their original mix, Armin has added a little Balearic flavour to many of them.
I pretty much have no gripes with this entire compilation except one song: Ohmna’s Satori Waterfalls. I don’t really know why, but I have a deeprooted hatred for this song. It’s probably the singer. Instead of this, why o why Armin couldn’t you give me Orjan Nilsen’s La Guitarra or Nadia Ali’s Crash & Burn! I was also sad that my personal track of the year so far, Cerf, Mitiska & Jarren’s You Never Said, wasn’t featured. Funnily enough, all three of these tracks were in ASOT episode 345 (Summer Tunes).
Regardless, this is a beautiful compilation and there’s no doubt about that. Listen to the double album when you’re cruising down an empty highway, at night under the bright starlights, and you’ll be in heaven!